Pod vapes and mini vapes have created a category of their own for vaping starter kits. These compact and straightforward use devices are the ideal vape for beginners or people wanting to quit smoking.
However, with the exhausting list of vape starter kits and even pod vapes, it isn’t easy to know where to start and what to recommend to friends. We’ve simplified the options for you by scoring the best pod vapes that we’ve tested. This best pod vape list is exclusively for refillable pod mods, for pre-filled pods mods check out our best vapes for beginners.
The Caliburn series is back with the G2, an upgrade to one of the most popular pod vapes. The G2 houses a 750mAh battery that charges through Type-C. The new upgrade brings with it a progressive airflow adjustment, haptic feedback, top-fill, and a liquid window. The G2 delivers an absolute stellar vape for either MTL or restricted DTL, through its replaceable coils. The G2 is compatible with either 1.2Ω, 1.0Ω, or 0.8Ω meshed coils – and all are outstanding.
Suorin Air Mod
The Suorin Air Mod has a unique credit card style design that is very lightweight and pocket-friendly. It has a built-in 1500mAh battery providing a maximum output of 40W while supporting Type-C fast charging. There is a 0.96-inch TFT display on the side, and the clear pods can hold up to 3ml of e-liquid. It comes with a 0.6Ω and 0.8Ω coil, and also has adjustable airflow. A stylish pod device that delivers an excellent vape experience.
The Mi-Pod is back with a bang! The new 2.0 Awakening Collection comes in four sacred geometry designs, all striking and stylish. The Mi-Pod 2.0 features a long-lasting 1250 mAh battery, 0.9Ω mesh pods, and a physical on/off switch. It can deliver an MTL and restricted DTL draw from the same pod, and is draw activated. One of the most stylish pod systems on the market, that deliver a terric vape experience.
Use Code ‘VIBE20‘ to get 20% OFF
VooPoo V Thru
The VooPoo V.THRU Pro Pod Kit is an incredibly compact and lightweight pod. It has a built-in 900mAh battery, which can be charged via Type-C, and can output between 5W and 25W. It is draw-activated and comes with a 0.69″ OLED screen to see all your vaping data. The V.Thru comes with a 0.7Ω Mesh Coil and 1.2Ω GENE Helix Coil, both refillable from the side with 3ml of E-liquid.
GeekVape Wenax K1
The Geekvape Wenax K1 is made of anodized aluminum and has a paint-grade texture to its color. The built-in 600mAh battery can be charged via the USB-C port. It can be fire through auto-draw or designated fire button. The K1 has an intelligent output mode that automatically detects the installed coils and adapts for optimum output power. The Wenax K1 comes with a 0.8Ω and 1.2Ω coil pod, both can be filled with 2ml of vape juice.
Uwell Caliburn AK2 (KOKO V2)
The AK2 looks just like a square Caliburn, but it’s much more than that. It features an excellent auto-draw sensor and is fine-tuned for a super-comfortable MTL draw. The AK2 is compatible with Uwell’s A2 pods, which have top-fill and come with a Meshed-H 0.9Ω coil. It houses a 520mAh battery which charges via USB Type -C, and is available in 4 color options.
Voopoo Drag S Pro
The Voopoo Argus Air is a compact, feature-rich pod kit created from metal and leather. It comes There are a lot of Drag pod systems on the market and the Drag S Pro is the pinnacle. It comes with an enormous 3000mAh internal battery which can output up to 80W. The Drag S Pro utilizes VooPoo’s TPP pod tank which has a range of excellent coils. The tank features a side fill port and can use replaceable 510 tips. The Drag Pro S has a 0.96” color screen and utilizes USB Type-C fast charging.
Vaporesso XROS Mini
The XROS Mini may look like a simple compact pod system. However it manages to include a 1000mAh battery in it’s incredibly compact chassis. It’s one of the best pod systems when it comes to a tight MTL draw, there’s no airflow adjustment but it has two different pod options, an updated 1.2Ω Pod and a 0.8Ω Mesh Pod. The XROS mini is available in 6 colors and features USB Type-C charging.
What is a Pod Mod?
A pod mod, referred to by many different names, including pod vapes, vape pods, mini vapes, or pod system, has been designed to help smokers transition into vaping.
They are more compact and often more comfortable to use than vape pens.
A pod mod is a mini vape device typically small and pocket-friendly that utilizes a pod filled with e-liquid that connects very simply to a battery.
Pod mod kits are incredibly simple to use, either automatically activated through inhaling or some include one power button.
One of the reasons pod vape systems have become so popular with new vapers is they can come with the pods pre-filled with liquid, meaning there’s no need to buy replacement coils or juice, just the pods. Some companies like JUUL offer a subscription for replacement pods, so you get them sent to your house at designated intervals.
Pod vapes can also come with empty refillable pods, allowing vapers to use their e-liquid.
Refillable vs. Pre-filled Pod Systems
Refillable and pre-filled pod systems both have their advantages and disadvantages. It comes down to personal preference, so it’s worth seeing which category suits you best before purchasing a pod system.
- Refillable pod systems: Also known as refillable pod vapes or open pod systems, use empty pods refilled by the user. These give you more freedom in terms of flavor. The main advantage to them is that you can purchase e-liquid from anywhere and have a broader range of flavors at your disposal.
- Pre-filled pod systems: Also known as pre-filled pod vapes or closed pod systems, are non-refillable pods pre-filled with the manufactures e-liquid. Available flavors will be dependent on the manufacturer, and some only carry a small range. However, having the convenience of not choosing a liquid type and physically filling the device is a huge advantage.
What e-liquid is best to use for refillable pods?
- Nicotine salt e-liquid: is commonly used for pod vapes due to its higher nicotine content and smoother draw. Nicotine salt was introduced and popularized by JUUL.
- Traditional e-liquids: You can use any e-liquid that is not too viscose. Typically, 50/50 VG/PG ratios work best on pod mods, but some do still function well with higher VG based e-liquids.
Who should use pod vapes?
- Smokers wanting to quit – Smokers transitioning to vaping appreciate the practical and straightforward design of pod mods and their easy nicotine delivery. Most also offer a similar draw to that of cigarettes.
- Experienced vapers – Even experienced vapers use pod mods, especially those that like mouth-to-lung style vaping. They make great companions to their usual larger setups and are ideal for travel.
- Stealth vapers – For those times where you don’t want to be carrying a large device that bellows huge clouds. A portable pod device is both discreet in their size and for their cloud production, so are ideal for stealth vaping.
Benefits of using pod vapes
- Simple & easy to use
- Discreet, compact form factor
- Designed for smokers to quit
- Easy maintenance
- Tight MTL draw (like a cigarette)
- Minimal vapor production
- Low e-liquid consumption
- Instantly change flavors
Pod systems do have plenty of advantages over other vaping systems or vape kits.
The most obvious being they are convenient and easy to use, especially for new vapers. You don’t need to worry about other devices’ complicated technical features, which is an excellent appeal to ex-smokers.
Also, they offer an MTL-style draw that mimics that of a traditional cigarette, making it an easy gateway to transition into vaping.
There are also other benefits to pod vaping that experienced vapers can appreciate. Firstly they are easy to maintain, and there is no need to build your coils. Secondly, switching flavors on the go is as easy as changing pods.
Pod vapes are generally low-powered devices with high ohm coils. If you want to be conservative with e-liquid consumption, they are a great option.
Downsides to using pod vapes
- Small battery capacity
- Can be expensive
- Limited vapor production
- Limited flavor selection (pre-filled)
As with everything in life, Pod Vapes also have some downsides that you might want to consider:
Due to their compact design, there is limited space for a high-capacity battery. So most have far lower battery life than a regular vape device. However, depending on the coils’ power consumption and your usage, a pod vape could still see you through a day of vaping.
Other downsides, especially with closed system pre-filled pod vapes, are the limited flavor selection. Often, the pre-filled pods come at a slightly higher cost.
Pod Vapes FAQs
Are pod systems safe?
- Pods vapes are regulated vape devices that all come with all the standard safety features built-in, so should leave no safety concerns if handled properly. However, they do have internal batteries, so we recommend not charging them overnight. Also, if your pod vape begins auto-firing, immediately dispose of it.
Is the hit of a pod vape similar to a cigarette?
- That is a difficult question to answer, it depends. Some pod vapes are designed for a cigarette-like draw (MTL), while others are designed for direct-to-lung vaping. Size is usually an indication; the smaller the pod, the more it is typically tailored towards an MTL draw resembling a cigarette hit.
What e-juice is best for refillable pod systems?
- Small pod devices typically have a lower power output, so nicotine salt vape juice is frequently the best solution. However, normal nicotine solutions also function fine. The VG/PG ratio used to be 50/50 for pod vapes, but most pods nowadays can easily handle up to 70VG.
Are pod systems cheap?
- Refillable vape pods are typically less expensive than other starter kits, however, replaceable pod systems cost more than replaceable coils pods. If price is a major consideration, go for a pod system with replaceable coils.
Are pod mod vapes better than vape pens?
- Most pod vapes share similarities with vape pens. It could be argued that a vape pen is more versatile as typically it can be used with any type of atomizer/tank. Advanced vape pens tend to have a larger vape juice capacity and greater battery life. However, with the advances of pod vape systems, they now come with a variety of battery capacities. So a versatile pod vape will be comparable to a vape pen, it would probably come down to which design format you prefer.
What pods are best for nic salts?
- The best pod system vapes for nic salt nic are typically the smaller pod devices with lower power output. However, some large pod mods are still suitable for low-strength nic salts (up to 20 mg). Check the power outputs on the devices, or look through our pod vape reviews for a detailed breakdown of vaping pod systems with nic salts.
Finding the best pod vape will ultimately come down to what type of vape experience you require. Are you looking for something compact, easy-to-use, that mimics smoking a cigarette? Or do you want a pocket-friendly pod device that can still chuck clouds?The great thing with pod vapes is there is something for every type of vaper. Hopefully, we’ve given you plenty of options with our best pods vapes list above. There are many other pod mods on the market that do a great job, you can check out some that we’ve reviewed here.